November 18th 2023
Indulge in the decadent delight of an Elvis-inspired Peanut Butter Banana Bacon Cake, but amplified like the King's music himself where layers of moist banana goodness meet creamy peanut butter white chocolate ganache, bourbon and honey marinated bananas in homemade fresh whip cream, covered in a maple bourbon buttercream and crowned with crispy bacon bits —an homage to the King's legendary taste buds.
Elvis ... SWOOOON! 😍
I looooove me some Elvis. I think if I was alive in the time of Elvis I would be one of those screaming fainting fans in the audience. I wanted to make a cake that would would make the King proud. When I first heard about Elvis' banana, bacon, peanut butter flavor medley I thought to myself ... what is he smokin?! Honestly. Bacon in cake?
Well, you know what they say - DON'T KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRY IT!
Melody makes her Elvis "Swoon" Cake LIVE!
*Special Guest: The Mindnoodler!*
Elvis "Swoon" Cake
(🍰 PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BOURBON MAPLE BACON CAKE)
4 medium bananas (340g)
3 c (375g) all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
200g unsalted butter - room temperature
3/4 cup (148g) granulated sugar
3/4 cup (128g) dark brown sugar
3 large eggs - room temperature
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1.5 cups (360ml) buttermilk - room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease 2 round 9 x 2” cake pans, set aside.
2. Mash the bananas, set aside.
3. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together, set aside.
4. Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (1 -2 mins)
5. Turn mixer on low and slowly add the granulated sugar and brown sugar until incorporated. Mix on high until smooth and creamy (2 mins), scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula mid way through.
6. Add the eggs one at a time and mix on high for 10 -15 seconds after each addition.
7. Add the vanilla and mashed bananas until just combined, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
8. Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk and mixing each addition just until incorporated - do not over mix. The batter will be slightly thick.
9. Divide the batter evenly between 2 pans and bake for 25 - 30 mins. Baking times vary so keep an eye on your cakes. They are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the tops of the cakes bounce back when gently pressed on with a finger.
Allow to cool completely in the pan
🍌BANANA BOURBON SYRUP & MARINADE
1 c water
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c bourbon
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp dark pure maple syrup
3 medium bananas - sliced slim on an angle
1. Boil water & sugar until sugar is dissolved, about a minute
2. Turn to low heat & add honey and maple syrup. Simmer for 1 min while stirring.
3. Remove from heat, add bourbon, set aside.
4. Place sliced bananas in a pie dish or flat heat safe container & pour syrup over bananas.
5. When cool enough place in the fridge.
🥓 CANDY BACON
1 (12oz) pack Applewood Smoked Bacon
Banana Bourbon Syrup reserve
About 1/2 c brown sugar to sprinkle on bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Arrange bacon on a cooling rack placed on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
3. Bake for 20 mins, flip over, sprinkle liberally with brown sugar & drizzle with Banana Bourbon Syrup. Bake for 5 mins (until the bacon gets caramelized & crispy, but not burnt!)
🥜 Peanut Butter Ganache Drip
100g good quality white chocolate chips
75g creamy, natural peanut butter (no added sugar/oils)
33g heavy cream
1. Microwave chocolate & heavy cream in microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir & repeat at 15 second intervals until chocolate is just melted.
2. Add peanut butter, stir, place in pastry bag sealed with a rubber band.
🥃 Maple Bourbon Buttercream
1 c unsalted butter - room temperature
4 c (480g) powdered sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp bourbon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on med-high until creamy, 2 minutes.
2. Add sugar one cup at a time blending until smooth. Add vanilla & salt. Beat on high 30 seconds.
3. Slowly add maple syrup & bourbon until fully combined. Beat 3-4 minutes on high until light & fluffy. Place in pastry bag sealed with a rubber band.
🥛 Whipped Cream (stabilized)
340g heavy cream
60g powdered sugar
1 tsp powdered gelatin
1.5 tsp cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Sprinkle gelatin over water & bloom for 5 mins.
2. Melt gelatin in the microwave for 10 seconds until you no longer see any granules of gelatin
3. Begin whisking heavy cream in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment attached until it begins to get thick and foamy. Add in your powdered sugar & continue mixing until you start seeing lines beginning to form on the surface (medium peak stage), reduce speed to low. Add vanilla.
4. Slowly drizzle in gelatin mixture & whisk until stiff peaks form that hold their shape
ASSEMBLE: Level cakes with a serrated knife to better soak up the syrup. Place your first cake layer onto cake board. Brush generous layer of Banana syrup. Add a thin layer of buttercream and pipe a "wall" around the outside edge of the cake. Place bananas onto layer of buttercream. Cover and fill with whipped cream. Place next layer of cake on top and cover entire cake with buttercream. Chill cake for about 20 minutes. Pipe drip around the rim and cover the top of the cake with leftover ganache. Smooth it out. Top with chopped bacon, let set in fridge 2-3 hrs
Info about Sweets' Spot TV
Sweets’ Spot is not just a baking show; it’s a culinary cabaret that marries the whimsy of “Peewee's Playhouse" with the irresistible tease and innuendo that fans adore from the always alluring, Melody Sweets. In each episode of “Sweets’ Spot” Melody Sweets bakes a different, decadently delicious creation that inspires her outrageous, otherworldly friends to cause hilarious chaos. Each enchanting, and boundary pushing episode of this sensational YouTube series transports viewers to a captivating world where fantastical culinary creations, burlesque theatrics, witty adult humor, and sentient baked goods converge to redefine the baking show genre.
Melody manages to cram her pink, retro kitchen, with Las Vegas' most entertaining characters and celebrities while dishing out the most delicious bakes.
This award winning 6-episode web series was created by the remarkable trio of Melody Sweets, Melissa King-Jules, and Anaïs Thomassian, and features a star-studded cast of exceptionally talented burlesque, comedy, and variety entertainers.
Filmed entirely in the heart of Las Vegas by the esteemed Light Forge Studios.
“A Confectionary Classic!” - John Katsilometes of the Review Journal
“An off-the-wall good time” - Brock Radke of the Las Vegas Sun
"Best of Vegas" winners, (Las Vegas Weekly).