November 13th 2023
This easy Italian Chocolate Salami is a delicious no bake classic Italian sweet treat. Fast and easy, just like me. It makes the perfect holiday gift or tea time dessert. Mangia!
This recipe is rich, nutty, sweet, and salty ... basically a giant chocolate roll stuffed with cookies, alcohol, and nuts - Mmmmmm nuts - and when cut into, resembles a realistic looking Italian salami. This dessert is the perfect indulgent treat. It’s delicious and simple to make – a true Italian delight worth splurging on!
"Damn! It's good!" –Jesus
So heavenly, Jesus approves! Which makes sense since this dessert is usually made in Italy for his birthday. It makes for an excellent no-bake Christmas gift that you can conveniently prepare and freeze in advance. And although this makes the perfect gift for your foodie friend, you can make this all year round when you need that chocolate fix!
Melody makes Salame al Cioccolato LIVE!
*Special Guest: Burlesque Powerhouse, Dirty Martini!*
Salame al Ciocciolato (Chocolate Salami)
(Big Ol' Chocolate Salami)
1.5 cups (300g) good quality dark chocolate Callebaut Belgian Dark Chocolate
2 fresh egg yolks - room temperature
6 tbsp unsalted butter - room temperature
2 tsp powdered sugar
1 tbsp orange zest (I used mandarin oranges)
1 cup coarsely chopped roasted and salted pistachio
1/4 cup Grand Marnier
1 tbsp cream
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Melt the chocolate over a *bain-marie.
2. Separate your eggs and gently whisk the cream and vanilla into your egg yolks.
3. When the chocolate is fully melted, slowly add the egg mixture. Remove from heat.
4. Add room temperature butter 1 tbsp at a time stirring until completely melted.
5. Slowly stir in the Grand Marnier. Stick in the fridge to help it cool. (About 10 minutes)
6. While the chocolate is in the fridge, roughly chop your pistachios and crumble the cookies.
7. Fold the crumbled cookies and pistachios into the chocolate and put back in the fridge until the chocolate becomes more moldable.
8. When the chocolate is ready, add half the mixture to a baking sheet prepared with cling wrap. Give it a twirl, (like you see at the 55:00 minute mark in the video above), let it firm up a bit in the fridge. (10-20 minutes).
9. When moldable, shape the chocolate into your prefered salami size. Rewrap with cling seal and a layer of aluminum foil. Refrigerate approximately 2-3 hours or overnight.
*Before serving, roll in the powdered sugar, and tie up with baking twine to give the illusion of a real salami.
Slice and serve. Enjoy!
*These make for great holiday gifts!
*A Bain Marie is a small saucepan with high sides that holds a large clear pyrex bowl. Place your saucepan on the stove over a medium heat, followed by about 2 inches of water. Then, add your heat proof bowl on the rim of the pot. Be careful, as you don’t want the simmering water in your saucepan to touch the bottom of the bowl. Make sure your bowl fits snugly over the saucepan so the steam is trapped beneath it. When melting chocolate, you don’t want steam to come out from the sides of the bowl, as moisture makes your chocolate seize, which is a pain to fix.
*It will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator | Up to 3 months in the freezer.
Be sure to leave it at room temperature for 20 minutes or so for easier slicing.
JUST THE TIP - Use a hot, dry knife for smoother slicing.
Info about Sweets' Spot TV
Sweets’ Spot is not just a baking show; it’s a culinary cabaret that marries the whimsy of “Peewee's Playhouse" with the irresistible tease and innuendo that fans adore from the always alluring, Melody Sweets. In each episode of “Sweets’ Spot” Melody Sweets bakes a different, decadently delicious creation that inspires her outrageous, otherworldly friends to cause hilarious chaos. Each enchanting, and boundary pushing episode of this sensational YouTube series transports viewers to a captivating world where fantastical culinary creations, burlesque theatrics, witty adult humor, and sentient baked goods converge to redefine the baking show genre.
Melody manages to cram her pink, retro kitchen, with Las Vegas' most entertaining characters and celebrities while dishing out the most delicious bakes.
This award winning 6-episode web series was created by the remarkable trio of Melody Sweets, Melissa King-Jules, and Anaïs Thomassian, and features a star-studded cast of exceptionally talented burlesque, comedy, and variety entertainers.
Filmed entirely in the heart of Las Vegas by the esteemed Light Forge Studios.
“A Confectionary Classic!” - John Katsilometes of the Review Journal
“An off-the-wall good time” - Brock Radke of the Las Vegas Sun
"Best of Vegas" winners, (Las Vegas Weekly).